Academic Advisor Profile and Description
Academic advisors assess student needs, interests, goals and prior academic experiences so as to guide students in taking up and successfully pursing their chosen academic plans. Academic advisors, in collaboration with the faculty members, work for addressing their academic advising needs for individuals or student groups.
They are also responsible to comprehend and interpret the policies of an educational institution and the academic options available, the certificates, degrees etc. for facilitating student success.
Academic Advisor Duties and Responsibilities
The typical duties and responsibilities that an academic advisor has to perform include the following:
- Working closely with the financial aid and admissions staff for advising new students.
- Give academic advice to the returning students about college policies, study programs and degree options. Also provide information about the alternatives and the possible consequences of an academic decision.
- Support career services via counseling on the career options and guide their development on job searches. Also assist career services staff in special projects.
- Interpret and administer education procedures and policies.\
- Set up and maintain relationships with the assigned department, program director and senior officials.
Academic Advisor Skills and Specifications
Some of the major skills and specifications that a gynecologist has to perform include the following:
- Work as a team member and exhibit superb problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Sensitive to issues like diversity, ethnicity or disability.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and several ethical standards.
Academic Advisor Education and Qualification
The most important educational qualifications that an academic advisor must have are as follows:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field with at least two years experience in working with college students.
- Demonstrated ability to help students transfer into a four-year degree college.
Academic Advisor Salary
An academic advisor is usually paid an average annual salary of $99,450.