Accounting Job Profile and Description
One of the top careers that one can opt for is accounting. If you study accounting then you can start as an accountant, finance associate, or auditing clerk. The primary job responsibility of an accounting professional is to keep track of an organization’s money.
There are four different category of accounting roles that you can choose from and these include public accounting, management accounting, government accounting, and internal auditors. As an accounting professional, you will be responsible for preparing and examining financial records of an organization and will also assist them in paying taxes as necessary.
Accounting Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an accounting professional include:
- Using bookkeeping software for maintaining company accounts.
- Using online spreadsheets as well as databases for maintaining accounting records and for creating reports.
- Keeping track of all financial transactions including revenue generated, profits, and expenses.
- Prepare balance sheets and income statement.
- Handle accounting duties like payroll, purchases, invoicing, and overdue accounts.
- Examining financial statements of the organization from time to time
- Computation of taxes owed by the organization to the government and preparation of tax returns
- Inspection of account books and maintenance of financial records.
Accounting Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required by an accounting professional include:
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, and taxation
- Ability to work with extensive financial databases
- Active listening and communication skills
- Good inter-personal skills
- Working knowledge of accounting software
Accounting Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for an accounting professional are as follows:
- High school diploma for accounting clerks.
- A bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting.
- Licensed Certified Public Accountants (CPAs)
- Other certification like Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
- 0-5 years of relevant work experience.
The salary of an accounting professional can vary from $38,940 to $106,880. The median annual salary for accountants and auditors in the US is $61,690.