Auditor Job Profile and Description
As an auditor, one can work within an organization and audit the internal financial records or work with an audit firm and handle the same responsibility. The primary job of an auditor is to prepare as well as examine financial records. As an auditor, one has to ensure that financial records of a firm or an individual are accurate. They also need to ensure that taxes have been paid on time.
It is the responsibility of the auditors to assess the financial operations of a firm or individual and they need to work in such a way that they can help organizations to run efficiently. Auditors can also specialize in certain areas and use their expertise accordingly. The two most important specializations include assurance services and risk management.
Auditor Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an auditor will involve:
- Examining all types of financial statements for an organization and ensure that they are in compliance with the stated laws and regulations
- Computing taxes owed by an organization, preparation of tax returns, and ensure that the organization pays its taxes on time
- Inspect firms account books as well as accounting systems and ensure they are efficient
- Ensure that firms are using accepted accounting procedures
- Organize and maintain all types of financial records
- Suggest better ways to the organization for following best-practices, reducing costs, enhancing revenues, and improving profits.
Auditor Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required by an auditor include:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with extensive financial data
- Strong active listening and communication skills
- Ability to work in a high stress and risk focused environment
- Knowledge of computers
Auditor Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for an auditor are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Should be a CPA (Certified Public Accountant)
- Certification in Microsoft Office Suite
- 0-2 years of relevant work experience
The salary of an auditor can vary from $40,893 to $61,048 and the median expected salary in the US is $49, 828.