Civil Engineering Career Profile and Description
A civil engineering professional plays a substantial role in the civil design and in the preparation of specifications in the various field engineering projects. The professionals are engaged in the designing of various civil systems of different sizes and complexities. They also supervise the quality system implementation of the capital projects and prepares manpower plan for the various construction projects. Depending on the organization where they are employed, they provide technical solutions for transportation projects, land development projects, energy and water resources projects.
Civil Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
Following are the primary roles and responsibilities of a civil engineering professional:
- Providing sketches and layouts to the design staffs for implementation in the construction drawings.
- Analyzing the maps, drawings and finalizing reports for various design projects.
- Performing engineering calculations in order to ensure safety of the equipments and systems.
- Monitoring the equipment delivery and the construction schedules for the timely completion of the project.
- Performing the testing of materials and the equipments.
- Preparing the budgetary estimates of the projects.
- Preparing project reports for submission to the upper management.
Civil Engineering Skills and Specifications
The following skills are required on the part of a civil engineer to perform the job successfully:
- The candidate should have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- The candidate should have an eagerness to accept new challenges in order to diversify the skill sets.
- The candidate should coordinate well with the structural engineers.
- The candidate should have a thorough knowledge of the related engineering practices, calculation methods and the economic principles.
Civil Engineering Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications required are as follows:
- A Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering.
- Knowledge of Microstation, AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of codes and standards used in the civil works.
Civil Engineering Salary
A fresh candidate can earn between $43,500 and $45,000. An engineer with a significant amount of experience can earn up to $89,550 – $125,550.