Computer Engineer Job Profile and Description
A computer engineer is also known as a computer hardware engineer. The primary responsibility of a computer engineer is to research, design and develop, as well as test computer equipments like circuit boards, chips, and routers among others. A computer engineer plays an important role in solving or troubleshooting different types of computer related problems especially computer hardware issues.
A computer engineer has to work with new technology to create computer hardware. Depending on the organization, an engineer is working with they will be required to develop and deploy communication API’s for parallel communication software infrastructures, highly parallel systems, and runtime systems among others.
Computer Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a computer engineer will involve:
- Performing validation testing for motherboard hardware.
- Conducting hardware testing using state of the art technology and testing tools like Logic Analyzer, Oscilloscope, and Function Generator.
- Reporting hardware quality assurance issues.
- Creating blueprints and designing new computer hardware based on blueprints.
- Updating existing computer equipment and integrating new technology into old equipment’s.
- Overseeing various manufacturing processes for computer hardware.
- Performing regular maintenance activities and troubleshooting computer hardware problems.
Computer Engineer Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required by a computer engineer include:
- Knowledge of design & analysis of algorithms, and object oriented modeling & design.
- Ability to work on high performance networks.
- Ability to test software and provide quality assurance.
- Identify computer problems and troubleshoot.
- Understand and work with component diagrams.
- Repair and maintenance of computer hardware.
Computer Engineer Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a computer engineer are as follows:
- A Bachelors degree in computer science or computer engineering.
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering.
- Experience of using cvs and svn.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- 0-2 years experience as a hardware engineer.
Computer Engineer Salary
The salary of a computer engineer can vary from $61,360 to $102,950 depending on the experience and organization working with. The median annual salary of computer hardware engineers in the US is $98,810.