Desktop Publisher Job Profile and Description:
This is a field where students and aspirants are required to learn how to use publishing in a variety of fields. Document layout design, web design, business writing, computer graphics and illustrations are some of the variants of desktop publishing and a desktop publisher will have to prove his credentials in each of these fields.
This is an emergent subject and has gained considerable popularity in today’s day and age. The printing and publishing industries lap up desktop publishers and this has also led to the upping of the job profile of this particular career option.
Desktop Publisher Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of a desktop publisher are as follows:
- Write, create and edit text, as well as add graphics to the text to make it visually appealing.
- Design page layouts, conceptualise the printed page and understand the allocation of various articles.
- Manage typesetting and separate colours for easy printing.
- To translate information available in the electronic formats in other media like films and so on.
- To discuss, understand and negotiate with the managerial authorities or the client regarding the concept, purpose and intended impact of the document.
Desktop Publisher Skills and Specifications:
The skills and specifications of a desktop publisher are as follows:
- The ability to envision how a page will look after being printed and design it accordingly.
- To conceptualise storylines, understand print technology.
- Work experience of at least 5 years as intern in a publishing firm
Desktop Publisher Education and Qualification:
A desktop publisher education and qualifications are as follows:
- Associate degree in Book History and Print Culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in digital publishing or design communication.
Desktop Publisher Salary:
Median annual earnings of a desktop publisher are around 35,000 USD.