Food Science Technician Job Profile and Description
A food science technician is an individual working in the field of food and agriculture and is responsible for developing and testing food products. They help in maintaining the quality of food. They also have to carry out research in the field of food development to ensure that the preservatives added are as per the followed standards. They try to improve the process of packaging so that the quality of the food lasts for a longer time. They have to work in laboratories using safe materials and also follow the safety protocols.
Food Science Technician Duties and Responsibilities
The various duties and responsibilities of a food science technician are as follows:
- Classifying the products by analyzing the tests conducted
- Checking whether the quality of the food products are meeting the set standard
- Ensuring that there is right amount of quantity of salt or other ingredients in the food product
- Assisting food scientists and technologists in the process of research and development
- They have to identify cell structures in order to locate bacteria in food materials
- Conducting research in the field of food development
Food Science Technician Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required to be possessed by a food science technician are as follows:
- Should be organized in nature
- Must have an eye for detail orienting
- Needs to possess excellent research skills
- Must have knowledge in the field of food chemistry
- Should be familiar with techniques of food processing
Food Science Technician Education and Qualification
In order to work as a food science technician it is necessary for an individual to pursue an associate degree in food science.
Food Science Technician Salary
The average salary received by a food science technician is around $34000.