General Practitioner Job Profile and Description
A General practitioner is a doctor or a medical personnel who is required to diagnose and treat various genera medical conditions and injuries. Any person who is working as a general practitioner examines the patients and suggest the appropriate tests etc so as to determine the exact problem from which the patient is suffering. The following is the career description of a general practitioner:
General Practitioner Duties and Responsibilities
Some of the major job duties and responsibilities of a general practitioner are given as follows:
- The main duty and responsibility of a general practitioner is to examine the patients and identify the medical condition by either conducting tests or analysing previous medical data.
- Another duty of a general practitioner is to prescribe drugs or medicines to the patients.
- It is the duty of a general practitioner to advice patients about ways to take care of themselves.
General Practitioner Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required to become a general practitioner are given below:
- A general practitioner must have exceptional interpersonal skills and communication abilities.
- He/she must have an analytical mind and should be caring towards the patients.
- Patience and hardwork are the two virtues of any general practitioner apart from knowledge, diligence and dedication towards the profession.
General Practitioner Education and Qualification
The following given educational qualifications are a must for any general practitioner:
- An undergraduate course in a field involving math, physics, biology, chemistry is a must and anatomy must also be an important included subject.
- A bachelor’s degree in the field of medicine is the second step towards becoming a general practitioner.
- After graduation, GPs must take a two year residency of on the job training after which a licensing test must be taken as well.
General Practitioner Salary
The median salary of a general practitioner is $160000 which may vary depending upon the goodwill, experience and qualifications of the individual.