Hematologist Profile and Description
A hematologist is a professional working in the field of medical sciences and healthcare and has expertise in blood related diseases and illnesses. A hematologist works in hospitals and other medical facilities and specializes in areas such as sickle cell anemia, genetic disorders and leukemia etc. a person who is a hematologist in a hospital is responsible for various kinds of tasks and must have the proper educational qualifications to work at this position.
Hematologist Duties and Responsibilities
A hematologist has to perform various job duties and responsibilities. The following is a list of the major duties and responsibilities of a hematologist:
- A hematologist working in a hospital is responsible for looking at blood slides and even the bone marrow slides so as to check and analyst the findings and giving out the test results.
- A hematologist is also responsible for prescribing oral medication to the patients and suggesting bone marrow transplants to those who require it.
- A hematologist’s duties also include conducting research on new treatment methods.
Hematologist Skills and Specifications
There are many skills which are required from a person who is working as a hematologist. The following is a list of a few:
- A hematologist must possess exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- A hematologist must be caring and loving in nature and should be extremely dedicated towards his duties.
- He/she should possess exceptional interpersonal skills.
Hematologist Education and Qualifications
A hematologist must possess the following given educational qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree is a must for any person who wants to become a hematologist.
- 4 years of medical school degree is also required.
- 2-6 years of residency within medicine department is a must for any person who wants to become a hematologist.
- Fellowship of 3 years.
An average median salary of a hematologist is about $265645.