Hygienist Job Profile and Description
A Hygienist or a dental hygienist is a person who is responsible for removing tartar and plaque etc from the teeth of the patients and providing them tips for overall dental hygiene. A hygienist works under a dentist and helps dentists in the promotion of oral wellbeing and hygiene. To know about the career of a hygienist or a dental hygienist, you can refer to the following given information:
Hygienist Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a hygienist are given as follows:
- A hygienist is responsible for removing the soft as well as hard deposits from teeth.
- They are responsible for polishing of the teeth and removing stains and plaque etc.
- It is the duty of a hygienist to promote dental and oral hygiene by giving suggestions and tips to the patients.
- They also need to check for any dental abnormalities in the patients.
Hygienist Skills and Specifications
The following skills and specifications are required by a hygienist.
- A hygienist must have a steady hand and a firm grip while working on the teeth of the patients.
- A hygienist must himself be hygienic and should maintain good dental health and hygiene to set a good example in front of the patients.
- They must be hardworking and dedicated.
Hygienist Education and Qualification
The education and qualifications of a hygienist are as follows:
- A hygienist mainly requires an associate degree or at least a certificate which makes them suitable for the job.
- A graduation degree in medicine or dental health is also a preferred choice for many.
- A hygienist must pass an exam which is conducted by the dental association, by passing which the license for practice is obtained.
On an average, a hygienist earns somewhere around $64000 in a year.