Immigration Lawyer Job Profile and Description
An immigration lawyer is a special lawyer who specialises in procedures and deals with cases related to immigration. His job is to help individuals in attaining citizenship, protect the immigrant rights and look after the other legal issues related to immigration. It is an extremely challenging job and requires thorough knowledge. One also needs appropriate licensures to pursue the profession. Immigration lawyers play a crucial role in understanding and helping different businesses with all immigration issues in a global scenario.
Immigration Lawyer Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an immigration lawyer include:
- Helping foreign nationals with the applications to become citizens and local residents.
- Helping foreign nationals who face cases regarding deportation and assist them in appealing for decision and help them stay legally in the country.
- Helping with Visas and work permits
- Helping families looking for international adoption
- Help in cases of trafficking and work on defence
Immigration Lawyer Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications required for an immigration lawyer include:
- Possessing good communication skills to understand the problem of the clients and offer a appropriate solution
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relations with the client to facilitate smooth functioning
- Great in-depth knowledge of the field and administrative knowledge to opt for the right path of procedure
Immigration Lawyer Education and Qualification
The education and qualification required by an immigration lawyer include:
- A Law degree
- Exam clearance of regional bar to be able to practice law
- Knowledge and understanding of more than one language. This qualification is optional though.
Immigration Lawyer Salary
An immigration lawyer’s salary is less than that of the most other lawyers. However, one can expect an average annual salary of $30,000-$100,000. Their salaries depend largely on their location, experience and their legal practice and vary accordingly.