Industrial Engineering Career Profile and Description
The main job role of an industrial engineer is to apply the industrial engineering techniques such as material and product routings, change over plans, line time studies and line optimization, in order to meet the current and future requirements of the manufacturing processes. The industrial engineer makes effective plans in utilizing the available equipment and resources in order to improve the efficiency of operations.
Industrial Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions of an industrial engineer are:
- Designing new equipment and materials to improve the industry standards and to increase the production levels.
- Preparing charts and diagrams to demonstrate the workflow and machine utilization.
- Making effective use of the computer assisted drafting equipment.
- Analyzing the various work samples and establishing the work measurement programs.
- Assisting in the development of new products by engaging in equipment selection, capacity analysis and costing procedures.
- Planning and executing properly designed experiments.
- Developing new manufacturing processes which are required to support new technologies.
- Investigating and troubleshooting various industrial problems.
Industrial Engineering Skills and Specifications
An industrial engineer must possess the following mentioned skills in order to be successful at work:
- Basic knowledge of Six Sigma principles.
- Basic understanding of Lean manufacturing.
- Thorough knowledge of CAD systems.
- Working knowledge of various automation concepts.
- Knowledge of the quality control measures to be taken in the industrial processes.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Good interpersonal skills and organizational skills.
Industrial Engineering Education and Qualification
An industrial engineer should possess the following academic qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering/Manufacturing engineering/Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering or any related field from an accredited university.
- Master’s degree in Industrial engineering preferred.
Industrial Engineering Salary
The starting salary for industrial engineers with bachelor degree is approximately $55,067. And, the starting salary for the engineers having a master degree is approximately $64,759.