Interior Design Job Profile and Description
An interior design professional is involved in designing living environments for both residential and commercial projects. The stress lies on how interior design can change the aura, add to the subtleness, play with colors, increase or decrease the boldness, add elements for effect, and simply bring around a nice feel to the environment in question.
As an interior design professional, one has to study and understand how different types of lighting, colors, and materials can affect the psyche of people living in or using a particular space. Interior design is hence often considered as an area of science as well as art. As an interior designer, one will need to master certain aspects including selecting and specifying fabrics, colors, finishes, flooring, furniture, lighting, and wall covering to create a more stylish look and feel.
Interior Design Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an interior design professional will involve:
- Inspection and survey of residential and commercial buildings
- Drawing drafts in 2D or 3D using various software’s and developing detailed designs keeping in mind the various elements in play
- Prepare estimates of material requirements as well as overall design and development costs
- Hold discussion with clients on various issues including budgeting, planning of space, utilization of design layout, coloring etc.
- Subcontract various responsibilities to third party vendors like fixtures and carpeting
- · Formulate an aesthetic environmental plan and ensure that all state or other important standards are being met.
Interior Design Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of an interior design professional include:
- High level of creativity and imagination
- Good eye for details
- Good drawing skills and knowledge of software like AutoCAD etc
- · Interest in and understanding of old and new trends in interior design
Interior Design Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for an interior design professional are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in any discipline
- Bachelor of Interior Design from a college accredited by National Association of Schools of Art and Design
- License of interior designer in specific states by clearing National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam
- · Certification in an interior design specialty
Interior Design Salary
The salary of an interior design professional can vary from $22,063 to $51,990 depending on the type of project, establishment working for, and experience.