Interior Designer Career Profile and Description
An interior designer is involved in various residential and commercial interior projects. The professionals develop and execute the appropriate design solutions as per the requirements of the clients, keeping in mind the quality control and financial measures to be taken.
The job role also includes administrative responsibilities for various interior designer projects, in coordination with the project team and design consultants.
Interior Designer Duties and Responsibilities
The essential responsibilities of an interior designer are as follows:
- Executing all phases of interior projects design.
- Developing space planning concepts.
- Working with the consultants and contractors in order to meet the various project objectives.
- Developing interior design matrixes coordinating with the ID drawings and FF & E specifications.
- Reviewing and verifying the accuracy of interior specifications.
- Preparing field visit reports related to the interior design project scope.
- Organizing and archiving interior design project records.
- Conducting preliminary field surveys for the various interior design projects.
- Creating detail sketches for interior elements and other custom interior finishes.
Interior Designer Skills and Specifications
The required skills for an interior designer are as follows:
- Basic interior architectural detailing skills.
- Knowledge of working drawings and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and 3D software.
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong graphic and visualization skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service skills.
- Sound verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
Interior Designer Education and Qualification
The required educational qualifications are as follows:
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design/Architectural Design or related field from an accredited design school.
- Candidates with working experience on various commercial interior design projects will be given preference.
- Candidates who have pursued a certification course in design will be given preference.
Interior Designer Salary
The salary range for interior designers with less than two years of experience is from $29,030 to $41,425. For designers with above five years of experience, it is $53,912 to $81,130.