Magazine Editor Job Description:
The magazine editor is a journalist at a senior post who is responsible for executing and planning different articles and issues of trade and consumer magazines. The editor is also in charge of selecting the content of the articles and this includes the photographs and the written text. This can be for online and print magazines.
It is essential that the editor has proper educational background along with experience of working for magazine houses before acquiring this post.
Magazine Editor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Editing and planning the content of the article
- Planning proper schedule for publishing of magazines periodically
- Working with different writers, editors and designers to assign, plan etc the type of issues that will attract more consumers
- Editing stories
- Meeting deadlines
- Developing networking and social relations with other media publication houses
Magazine Editor Skills and Specifications:
- In depth knowledge about media editing software
- Ability to handle multiple projects and aspects of an article such as photos, content, etc.
- Checking facts and attaching relevant photos
- Ensuring timely publishing of the magazine
Magazine Editor Education and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or Mass Communication is must along with training in proof reading and writing. This should also entail experience as interns for several publishing houses.
- Certification in editing, online publishing as well as new media
- Certification from Training courses which are content specific to the type of industry that the candidate wishes to associate himself or herself with is also important. There are some courses that are associated with the specific magazines and which offer employment after the completion of the course
Magazine Editor Salary:
The magazine editor earns between $36,621 and $60,204 per year. The average income is around $50,800. This depends on the employer as well.