Mechanical Engineering Career Profile and Description
A mechanical engineer is a professional who is engaged in the operation and maintenance of various mechanical equipment of an industry. The professional ensures the safe operation of the various fixed and rotating equipment. Along with this regular duty, a mechanical engineer also works with the project teams in order to develop and implement various mechanical projects, as needed by the organization or the clients of the organization.
Mechanical Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of a mechanical engineer vary from organization to organization. Here are some of the general responsibilities that they have to carry out in each and every organization:
- Preparing plumbing system design using the drafting programs.
- Selecting and sizing hydraulic systems like pumps, valves and pipe supports.
- Working with the equipment vendors for the selection and specification of the appropriate equipment.
- Performing site surveys and construction observations as and when required.
- Preparing the scope statement, budget estimates and design schedules of the new projects.
- Designing facility mechanical systems for various industrial applications.
- Designing compressed air systems, heat exchange systems and plumbing systems for customized applications..
- Working in association with the designers to create the assembly drawings.
- Preparing various project documentations and reports.
- Maintaining 3D system models and generating designs with the help of different software.
Mechanical Engineering Skills and Specifications
The essential skills required on the part of a mechanical engineer are:
- Thorough knowledge of process equipment such as pressure vessels, exchangers, pumps, towers and compressors.
- Working knowledge of SAP maintenance module.
- Knowledge of the industry standards and specifications.
- Expertise in CAD/CAM.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Sound oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering is required.
- Master’s degree in Mechanical engineering technology is preferred.
- Candidates who have pursued certification courses in Catia, AutoCAD Inventor, and MATLAB etc. are given preference.
Mechanical Engineering Education and Qualification
Mechanical Engineering Salary
The average salary of a mechanical engineer is $79,000.
Genetic Engineer Career Description
Aerospace Engineer Career Description
Audio Engineer Career Description
Petroleum Engineer Career Description
Environmental Engineering Career Description
Industrial Engineering Career Description
Automotive Engineering Career Description
Computer Engineering Career Description
Biomedical Engineering Career Description
Aerospace Engineering Career Description
Electrical Engineering Career Description
Civil Engineering Career Description