Neonatal Nurse Career Profile and Description
The neonatal nurse job position is an advanced practice in which, a nurse provides medical services to neonates or the new born babies and also accounts for the diagnosis and management of the acute and chronic conditions. They provide 24 hour caring to the critically ill neonates and attend high risk deliveries.
The neonatal nurse provides all the care, in accordance with the NNP scope of practice and the Collaborative Practice agreement. The nurse also acts a clinical leader and consultant in collaboration with other healthcare team members.
Neonatal Nurse Duties and Responsibilities
The basic work activities of a neonatal nurse are as follows:
- Conducting clinical assessments in order to determine the correctness of therapy in complex situations.
- Consulting with the nursing staffs in the implementation of better care facilities for patients and families.
- Providing diagnosis and treatment to infants.
- Carrying out the emergency medical procedures.
- Maintaining the technical competencies for the effective management of critically ill neonates.
- Assisting in the development of clinical policies and procedures.
- Participating in the research activities.
- Assisting with the unit based CQI activities and implementation of other medical action plans.
Neonatal Nurse Skills and Specifications
The required skills and abilities for a neonatal nurse are as follows:
- Working knowledge of epidemiology principles.
- Clinical knowledge and knowledge regarding the health management of neonates.
- Updated knowledge of trends and technologies used in the neonatal care.
- Good interpersonal skills and organizational skills.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Managing all duties and responsibilities under minimal supervision.
Neonatal Nurse Education and Qualification
The required educational qualifications are as follows:
- Graduation in Nursing/Neonatal Nursing or any related field.
- NRP certification or NNP certification necessary.
- Candidates having experience of clinical nursing within a neonatal ICU will be preferred.
Neonatal Nurse Salary
The average salary of an entry level neonatal nurse practitioner salary ranges from $49,296 to $68,784. The practitioners with three to four years of experience can earn between $61,674 and $81,827.