Neurosurgeon Job Profile and Description
A neurosurgeon is a physician who specializes in the treatment and diagnosis of medical conditions that affect the spinal cord, brain, peripheral nerves and the structures supported and surrounded by these. They help rectify the problems related to neurology through surgeries. They operate the brain, spine or the peripheral of nerves. They also teach and train medical students. He specializes in surgical interventions that are executed in nervous system.
Neurosurgeons Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of neurosurgeons include:
- Performing surgeries
- Coordinating with nurses and other professionals in the operation theatre
- Interpreting results of the different diagnostic tests
- Must know techniques of microsurgeries
- Work with psychiatrists, therapists and neurologists
- Prescribe treatment for the patient and monitoring their progress
Neurosurgeon Skills and specifications
The skills and specifications required to be a neurosurgeon are:
- Skills in reading diagnostic reports and interpret them
- Thorough knowledge of human body’s anatomy
- Great communication skills
- Surgical skills to tackle injuries and diseases
Neurosurgeon Education and Qualifications
The education and qualification required for a neurosurgeon include:
- Pre-medical program that covers academic courses in general chemistry, biology, mathematics, organic chemistry and English.
- 4 complete years of medical schooling
- Minimum requirement of 72 months of residency training after 4 yours of medical school
- Must have completed a program on neurosurgery from an accredited institute
- A course in humanities and social science would also help a lot
Neurosurgeons are paid highly as compared to other types of surgeons. There is an involvement of very high risk in such surgeries and hence the pay is high. On an average a neurosurgeon earns an annual salary ranging between $400,000 – $600,000. Here again, the salary fluctuates based on the candidate’s experience, region and nature of job.