Nursing Assistant Career Profile and Description
A nursing assistant works under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse and meets various physical, psychological and social needs of the patients as indicated. She provides direct nursing care to the residents in accordance with the established policies and procedures, in order to maintain the highest physical and mental well-being of the patients through quality care. In addition, the assistants also help in maintaining the overall environment of the nursing unit, under the supervision of the registered nurse.
Nursing Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
The primary duties of a nursing assistant are as follows:
- Assisting the residents with the specific nursing care plans.
- Assisting the nutritional service staffs in serving of meals.
- Maintaining and storing all the essential documentation in the computer.
- Managing the departmental emergency procedures.
- Observing and recording the patient’s medical records on a regular basis.
- Assisting in the procedures such as oxygen administration and inhalation therapy.
- Maintaining the records of supplies and equipment to ensure effective patient care.
- Managing tasks such as admission and discharge of patients, according to the policies and procedures.
- Assisting the patients in the daily activities such as toileting, bathing, grooming and feeding etc.
- Performing complex treatment procedures such as sterile dressings, wound irrigations etc.
- Supporting duties such as setting up and operating medical equipment.
Nursing Assistant Skills and Specifications
- Knowledge of basic nursing techniques and procedures.
- Knowledge of aseptic practices and cardio-pulmonary techniques.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Nursing Assistant Education and Qualification
- Graduation or High School Diploma in Nursing.
- CPR certification/CENA certification.
- Candidates having one or two years of relevant experience as a nursing assistant in a hospital or long term care facility will be preferred.
Nursing Assistant Salary
The salary range of a nursing assistant is $34,039 to $44,247 per year.
Traveling Nurse Career Description
Neonatal Nurse Career Description
Registered Nursing Career Description
Forensic Nursing Career Description
Veterinary Nursing Career Description
Psychiatric Nursing Career Description
Marine Biologist Career Description
Naturalist Career Description
Biomedical Engineer Career Description
General Practitioner Career Description
Visual Merchandiser Career Description