Orthopedic Surgeon Job Profile and Description
Orthopedic surgeons treat problems with the musculoskeletal system including trauma injuries, arthritis and congenital deformities. Orthopedic surgeon provides medical care to patients who are on general anaesthesia by using surgical or physical means.
An Orthopedic surgeon works with healthcare specialists like rheumatologists and provides additional services whenever they need. He treats injuries, deformities and diseases by non-invasive or invasive surgical methods.
Orthopedic Surgeon Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities to be performed by an orthopedic surgeon are the following:
- Determine the best procedure for treatment by analyzing the patient’s medical conditions and medical history and also examine the results to verify the necessity of operation.
- Accept referral of patients from other physicians and discuss the options for treatment.
- Notify other support staffs and book surgery rooms when required.
- Manage patient’s records and charts as needed.
- Co-ordinate follow-up meetings with patients to monitor recovery after treatment or surgery.
Orthopedic Surgeon Skills and Specifications
- Must be updated with current medical ethics and technologies.
- Sound knowledge in the field of physiology and pharmacology.
- Ability to work for long hours.
- Ability to take decisions under pressure and strong willingness to learn continuously.
- Should be aware of all new developments that take place in the orthopedic surgery field.
Orthopedic Surgeon Education and Qualification
- A four-year bachelor’s degree in biology or any related field.
- A doctoral degree in medicine along with a post-graduation in orthopedic surgery is required.
- Experience in clinics or surgery centres as residents are added advantages.
- Certification has to be obtained by taking up the state certified exam.
Orthopedic Surgeon Salary
The average salary of an orthopedic surgeon is found to be between $170,000 and $380,000 and is said to the best paid positions. The job prospects for orthopedic surgeons are expected to rise in the coming years.