Set Designer Career Profile and Description
A set designer is a professional, who is generally employed in film making and performing arts industry. These professionals are responsible for creating the background settings for movies, plays and various television shows. The Set designer works in association with the production designer and art directors to convert the approved production illustrations into drawings for the construction of set.
The designer should always be aware of the various architectural rules and guidelines needed to design the set effectively. S/he should have practical experience in film set design and model making.
Set Designer Duties and Responsibilities
The essential job functions of a set designer are:
- Designing sets based on the approved visual development.
- Creating working drawings for scaling purpose.
- Creating physical 3D presentation models.
- Delivering relevant drawings to create environments for animation.
- Drafting details of scale sets and scale props.
- Creating blueprints for construction.
- Researching upon a particular type of architecture as depicted by the production designer.
- Installing certain hardware equipment.
- Designing a series of signage to be used in a particular set.
- Drafting various sign boards and light boxes.
- Surveying of location before the preparation of set.
Set Designer Skills and Specifications
The skills required for a set designer are:
- Proficient in software such as Vector Works, Photoshop, Illustrator and AutoCAD etc.
- Strong knowledge of drafting standards and conventions.
- Knowledge of creating construction blueprints for 3D environments.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
Set Designer Education and Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in Production Design/ Set Design/Fine Arts or any related field.
- Candidates with experience in live stage and exposure to stop motion production environments will be preferred.
Set Designer Salary
The average annual salary of a set designer is $65,050.It can go up to $82,810 depending on the level of experience and knowledge of the designer and the type of industry.