Teacher Job Profile and Description
The roles and responsibilities of a teacher are not just important for students of a school but integral towards shaping the future of the society as well. There are two different types of teaching opportunities on offer, one is for kindergarten and elementary schools and the other is for post-secondary schools. Depending on the type of teaching job one wishes to accomplish; the knowledge, experience, and educational qualifications will vary.
The primary job of a teacher is to instruct students and impart knowledge on a wide variety of academic as well as vocational subjects.
Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a teacher will include:
- Plan lessons that will increase overall knowledge of students in different subjects like mathematics, science, geography, history, English etc.
- Help students to enhance various skills like writing and reading skills, arts and crafts, and social skills.
- Help in developing a course curriculum that is in-sync with the school standards.
- Assess the progress of each student through tests and by using the grade system.
- Serve on administrative as well as academic committees to assist in policy making
- Discuss with parents progress of each student and how their performance can be improved
- Motivate the students to perform better in all subjects
Teacher Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required by a teacher include:
- Patience and positive attitude
- Ability to work with students of all ages, cast, creed, and sex without biases
- Thorough knowledge of the subjects they specialize in
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to build relationships with students and staff
- Should possess strong instructional skills.
Teacher Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a teacher are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in elementary education for elementary teachers.
- Bachelor’s degree, masters, and doctoral dissertation for post-secondary teachers.
- License certification for teachers from National Center for Alternative Certification
- 0-2 years of teaching experience.
The salary of a teacher can vary from $34,390 to $76,490 for Kindergarten and Elementary School teachers and $30,720 to $130,510 for Postsecondary teachers.