Toy Designer Profile and Description
Toy designers usually work for toy manufacturers or a toy designing firm. Many of the designers work as independent professionals for toy manufacturers on project basis. Toy designers mostly come from an engineering background as toys are now more sophisticated than ever with the use of technology.
There several facets involved in the profession like designing and manufacturing, safety, assembly, budgeting, packaging, shipping and most importantly, attracting the attention of one of the most difficult customer segment: children.
Toy Designer Duties and Responsibilities
Some of the common duties and responsibilities that a toy designer has to discharge include the following:
- Preparing sketches of detailed drawings, ideas, artwork, illustration, blueprints etc by using drafting instruments and computer-aided designing software.
- Evaluating the feasibility of design ideas, depending upon factors like safety, appearance, serviceability, budget, function, production costs, market characteristic etc.
- Coordinate and direct fabrication of samples or models and drafting work drawings as also specification sheets.
- Presenting reports and designs to customers and design committees for due approval or the need for modifications.
- Confer with the marketing, production, sales, engineering and other departments for establishing and evaluating the design concepts for the manufactured products.
Toy Designer Skills and Specifications
The core skills and specifications that an industrial designer must have include the following:
- Good spatial and visual awareness.
- Well developed creative and technical skills.
- Proficiency in computers especially with designing software.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills.
Toy Designer Education and Qualification
The most important educational qualifications that an academic advisor must have are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in designing or any other relevant field.
- At least five years experience in designing industrial products or helping the senior designer as an assistant.
Toy Designer Salary
A toy designer can draw an average annual salary of $69,570.