Engineering Job Profile and Description
The role of an engineer to society is very important and it varies according to the area of specialization. The various areas of specialization for an engineer includes mechanical, electrical, electronics, computers, aerospace, agriculture, architectural, biomedical, and civil among others.
The primary job responsibilities of an engineer lies in planning and designing, working with machines and circuit boards, testing various equipments, development and implementation of designs, supervising installation, overseeing operation, maintenance and repair, and much more. Depending on the specialization, the job responsibilities will also vary.
Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of an engineer will involve:
- Maintenance of equipments used for developing, initiating, testing etc.
- Working with various equipments and tools to fulfill all project requirements.
- Discussing with clients regarding project timelines, costs of installation or implementation, amount of labor required, safety compliance, and other standards.
- Attending to any problems, bottleneck, or issues related to equipment malfunction or loss of work.
- Planning and designing of blueprint.
- Supervising a project from starting to completion phase
Engineering Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required by an engineer include:
- Strong planning, designing, and implementation skills.
- Ability to work in multiple environments from field projects to in-house projects.
- Strong leadership or supervisory skills.
- In-depth knowledge of engineering specialty and ability to use this for benefit of organization or client.
- Good communication skills.
Engineering Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for an engineer are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil etc)
- Master’s degree (M.Tech) in engineering.
0-2 years of relevant work experience.
The salary of an engineer can vary from $51,340 to $119,950 depending on the experience and engineering specialty. The mean annual salary in the US is $83,550.