Biomedical Engineering Career Profile and Description
The sole purpose of a biomedical engineer is to apply engineering principles to biomedical applications. These professionals work with the testing and research laboratories that provide pharmaceutical services to various clients. The biomedical engineers play a very important role in the patient care. They perform the safety test, installation and troubleshooting of the various patient care equipments.
Biomedical Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
A biomedical engineer performs the duties as per the policies and procedures of the respective medical organization. The basic duties include:
- Calibration of the patient care equipment.
- Maintenance and repair of the patient care equipment.
- Designing of the vaccine delivery systems.
- Maintenance of the electronic and mechanical systems used in the clinical setting.
- Maintenance of the inventory of the replacement parts.
Biomedical Engineering Skills and Specifications
A biomedical engineer should possess the following skills in order to perform their job responsibilities successfully:
- They should have basic knowledge of mechanical and electronic fabrication tools and equipment.
- They should have relevant laboratory experience with vaccines and therapeutic proteins.
- They should have knowledge of calibration and repair work of the electromechanical instruments.
- They should have experience in freeze drying technologies.
In addition to the above technical skills, the following soft skills are required:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to multitask and an urge to learn new techniques and methodologies.
- Ability to follow medical instructions accurately and to maintain records in a correct manner.
Biomedical Engineering Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications required are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Equipment Technology/ Biomedical Engineering/ Biomedical Instrumentation Engineering/Electronics Engineering
- BMET certification.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have performed field service maintenance work with a medical equipment maintenance vendor.
Biomedical Engineering Salary
The average salary of a biomedical engineer is $49,924. It will gradually increase with the increase in the experience level of the professional.