Automotive Engineering Career Profile and Description
An automotive engineering job position is a very innovative one and it requires utmost creativity on the part of the candidate to perform the job well. This is because; this job entails both the design and development concepts. An automotive engineer designs and drafts the master drawings of the automotive vehicle components and assemblies. They prepare the demo versions before the final development phase, according to the specifications and sketches.
Automotive Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
The important job duties of an automotive engineer are:
- Designing components and performing packaging studies.
- Performing mathematical computations to develop designs.
- Working in collaboration with other automotive engineers to resolve various design problems.
- Managing the design validation plan and reporting.
- Providing technical and troubleshooting solutions to various manufacturing locations.
- Managing the prototype samples to support the development testing.
- Assessing the whole product life cycle to ensure that the overall quality of design meets the required standards.
- Developing design reviews, test reports, system engineering plans and safety evaluations.
Automotive Engineering Skills and Specifications
The candidates must possess the following skills and qualities:
- They should be proficient in the use of Catia V5 computer aided design software.
- They should be proficient in Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis.
- They should have a strong knowledge in geometric dimensioning and technical drawings.
- They should have a thorough knowledge of the automotive safety systems, interior components and other automotive applications.
In addition to the above technical skills, the behavioral skills that should be possessed by the candidates are as follows:
- They should be highly motivated and should be well prepared to work in a fast paced environment.
- They should be able to work well in a team and should coordinate well with the other technical staffs.
- They should have good customer relation skills.
Automotive Engineering Education and Qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Automobile engineering/Mechanical Engineering or any other related branch.
- Automotive Design in CAD.
- Certification in Technical Writing is helpful.
Automotive Engineering Salary
The starting salary of an automotive engineer is about $45,000 to $73,000 per year. With increase in experience, the salary range increases to $69,000 to $92,000.
Genetic Engineer Career Description
Aerospace Engineer Career Description
Audio Engineer Career Description
Petroleum Engineer Career Description
Environmental Engineering Career Description
Industrial Engineering Career Description
Computer Engineering Career Description
Biomedical Engineering Career Description
Aerospace Engineering Career Description
Mechanical Engineering Career Description
Electrical Engineering Career Description
Civil Engineering Career Description