Biomedical Engineering Career Profile and Description
The sole purpose of a biomedical engineer is to apply engineering principles to biomedical applications. These professionals work with the testing and research laboratories that provide pharmaceutical services to various clients. The biomedical engineers play a very important role in the patient care. They perform the safety test, installation and troubleshooting of the various patient care equipments.
Biomedical Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
A biomedical engineer performs the duties as per the policies and procedures of the respective medical organization. The basic duties include:
- Calibration of the patient care equipment.
- Maintenance and repair of the patient care equipment.
- Designing of the vaccine delivery systems.
- Maintenance of the electronic and mechanical systems used in the clinical setting.
- Maintenance of the inventory of the replacement parts.
Biomedical Engineering Skills and Specifications
A biomedical engineer should possess the following skills in order to perform their job responsibilities successfully:
- They should have basic knowledge of mechanical and electronic fabrication tools and equipment.
- They should have relevant laboratory experience with vaccines and therapeutic proteins.
- They should have knowledge of calibration and repair work of the electromechanical instruments.
- They should have experience in freeze drying technologies.
In addition to the above technical skills, the following soft skills are required:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to multitask and an urge to learn new techniques and methodologies.
- Ability to follow medical instructions accurately and to maintain records in a correct manner.
Biomedical Engineering Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications required are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Equipment Technology/ Biomedical Engineering/ Biomedical Instrumentation Engineering/Electronics Engineering
- BMET certification.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have performed field service maintenance work with a medical equipment maintenance vendor.
Biomedical Engineering Salary
The average salary of a biomedical engineer is $49,924. It will gradually increase with the increase in the experience level of the professional.
Genetic Engineer Career Description
Aerospace Engineer Career Description
Audio Engineer Career Description
Petroleum Engineer Career Description
Environmental Engineering Career Description
Industrial Engineering Career Description
Automotive Engineering Career Description
Computer Engineering Career Description
Aerospace Engineering Career Description
Mechanical Engineering Career Description
Electrical Engineering Career Description
Civil Engineering Career Description