Practical Nurse Career Profile and Description
A practical nurse is a professional practitioner, who provides patient care, all types of health information, health screenings, health education and resources under the supervision of a registered nurse or any other healthcare department.
The major responsibilities of a practical nurse include assessing and reporting the changes in the patient condition, assisting with the specific treatments and procedures and managing the medications prescribed to the patients. A practical nurse has to be knowledgeable about the quality standards and policies of the healthcare organization, while delivering the care to the patients.
Practical Nurse Duties and Responsibilities
The job responsibilities of a practical nurse include:
- Developing and implementing the different patient care plans effectively, in collaboration with the health care personnel.
- Documenting all the essential information regarding the overall condition of patients, any behavioral changes etc.
- Keeping records of the admission and discharge of the patients.
- Ensuring proper utilization of the medical supplies and equipment.
- Administering the prescribed medications to the patients in a timely manner.
- Attending care plan meetings at periodic intervals.
- Communicating with the family members, visitors of the patients and the members of the health care team.
- Performing the routine office procedures.
Practical Nurse Skills and Specifications
The following skills and specifications are required for being a successful practical nurse:
- Must possess excellent communication skills and customer service skills.
- Basic typing skills and proficiency in basic computer applications.
- Strong team building and organizational skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work in evenings and weekends too.
- Strong problem solving skills.
Practical Nurse Education and Qualification
- Graduation or a high school diploma in Nursing.
- Current LPN state licensure required.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification is a plus.
Practical Nurse Salary
The annual salary for the licensed practical nurses ranges from $31,840 to $44,267. The practical nurses who are self-employed can earn from $24,511 to $51,000.
Neonatal Nurse Career Description
Nursing Assistant Career Description
Registered Nursing Career Description
Forensic Nursing Career Description
Veterinary Nursing Career Description
Psychiatric Nursing Career Description
Marine Biologist Career Description
Naturalist Career Description
Biomedical Engineer Career Description
General Practitioner Career Description
Visual Merchandiser Career Description