Veterinary Nursing Career Profile and Description
A veterinary nurse generally gets appointed in the government and private animal clinics that provides various types of veterinary services such as ultrasound, endoscopy, stem cell therapy, chemotherapy, boarding and grooming of the pets and other animals. A veterinary nurse should have a passion for the well-being of animals and should be well experienced in laboratory, radiology, various types of surgeries and client education too. A veterinary nurse plays a vital role in the prevention and treatment of physical disease and injuries to all type of animals.
Veterinary Nursing Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a veterinary nurse are as follows:
- Providing care and treatment to all injured and sick animals as per the direction of veterinarian.
- Implementation of feeding programs for the animals under supervision.
- Assisting in anesthesia monitoring at the time of animal capture and relocation.
- Maintaining the surgical equipment.
- Managing the inventory including the animal medicines, various types of minerals and equipment etc.
- Conducting regular audit of medicines so as to ensure that the medicines out of date are disposed appropriately.
- Conducting sample collection and various laboratory procedures.
- Assisting the veterinarian during the surgical procedures.
- Preparing monthly and weekly reports, as required and submitting them to the higher authorities.
Veterinary Nursing Skills and Specifications
The necessary skill sets for a veterinary nurse are as follows:
- Must be self-motivated and energetic.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to cope with the environment that includes a variety of medical and surgical cases.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Must provide good customer service.
Veterinary Nursing Education and Qualification
- B.Sc./Diploma in Veterinary Nursing/AVMA approved Veterinary Technician program.
- Qualified Veterinary Nurse by RCVS will be given preference.
- Candidates having up to date knowledge of the nursing trends will be preferred.
Veterinary Nursing Salary
The average salary of a veterinary nurse is between $28,000 and $42,555 annually. This varies according to the location of the job and the years of experience of the nurse.
Traveling Nurse Career Description
Neonatal Nurse Career Description
Nursing Assistant Career Description
Registered Nursing Career Description
Forensic Nursing Career Description
Psychiatric Nursing Career Description
Marine Biologist Career Description
Naturalist Career Description
Biomedical Engineer Career Description
General Practitioner Career Description
Visual Merchandiser Career Description