Environmental Engineering Career profile and Description
The primary function of an environmental engineer is to perform the technical, regulatory and administrative functions regarding the various environmental related aspects. The engineer provides support as and when needed for the environment compliance and projects. S/he works for the Environmental Planning and Compliance division of the organization and maintains up to date information of applicable environmental regulations.
Environmental Engineering Duties and Responsibilities
The principal accountabilities of an environmental engineer are:
- Performing environmental sampling, testing and data analysis.
- Performing environmental safety audits.
- Interacting with the local, state and federal regulatory agencies for the resolution of various environmental issues.
- Preparing regulatory reports for air quality permits, mining permits etc.
- Approving chemical application permits.
- Designing environmental data collection systems for reporting.
- Monitoring the waste generation rates.
- Investigating and documenting the various environmental incidents.
- Assisting the waste water treatment processes.
- Preparing reports and manuals after attending the environmental visits.
Environmental Engineering Skills and Specifications
The candidates opting for a career as an environmental engineer should possess the following skills and competencies:
- Basic knowledge of clean air act regulations.
- Knowledge of environmental disciplines such as NRC and SARA programs.
- Knowledge of the mining rules and regulations.
- Basic understanding of the statistical applications.
- Excellent documentation skills and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a team.
- Strong time management skills and an eye for detail.
- Ability to communicate well with the regulatory agencies.
Environmental Engineering Education and Qualification
The relevant qualifications needed for an environmental engineer are as follows:
- A Bachelors degree in Environmental Engineering/Environmental Science/Geology/Environmental Management or related disciplines.
- Preference given to the candidates who have participated in the ISO 9000 Environmental system management activities.
Environmental Engineering Salary
The mean annual wage for the environmental engineers ranges from $79,360 – $128,140. The range differs according to the location, the level of experience and the complexity of the job.