Medical Technologist Job Profile And Description
A medical technologist is someone who works in laboratories and help in various diagnostics tests. They are also called clinical laboratory technologists and use their skills and training to do different kinds of clinical procedures which involve chemical, biological, nuclear, immunologic and bacteriological examinations. The job responsibilities of this position depend on the exact designation and which area the medical technologist works as some of the roles can be very specific. They need to be aware of the various rules and regulations on how to maintain cleanliness and a sterilized atmosphere and must always wear the protective gear necessary.
Medical Technologist Duties And Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a medical technologist will involve:
- Analysing the specimens of the human body like urine or blood samples and check for any abnormalities in body fluids
- They also have to find out if there is any bacteria or virus in the samples which can lead to diseases
- They have to match blood types to see if blood transfusion is possible
- They should be aware of how to use the medical equipment which will allow them to perform different types of tests and then write a report on the basis of the tests
Medical Technologist Skills And Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of a medical technologist include:
- Organisational and analytical skills
- May have to work for long hours and during weekends
- Must have good communication skills.
- Must possess thorough knowledge of all the processes to be done.
Medical Technologist Education And Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a medical technologist are as follows:
- Go for a bachelor’s degree in medical technology or at least an associate degree
- Study subjects like anatomy, biology, chemistry and microbiology
Medical Technologist Salary
The salary of a medical technologist is $53,000 per year but it can go up to $74,000 depending on who has hired him and how qualified he is.