Youth Counselor Profile and Description
A youth counselor is an individual who has the interest and desire to help young adults and children. These individuals are hired by churches, youth organizations, schools and even colleges to help young people overcome their problems and issues. A youth counselor conducts counseling sessions on various topics so that the young adults or children can discuss their point of views and resolve the issues they are facing.
Youth Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
A youth counselor might be needed to attend to quite a few duties and responsibilities. Here’s a look at the major duties of a youth counselor:
- A youth counselor’s main duty is to help juveniles overcoming fears, risks, problems etc. they are required to counsel young adults so as to help them speak their mind and discuss the issues they are facing.
- A youth counselor is required to maintain records and reports about each of the students or children so that they can analyze each of it and then come to a way which would be effective in resolving individual issues.
- He/she is responsible for helping young people decide their careers and suggest possible fields according to interests and inclination.
Youth Counselor Skills and Specifications
A youth counselor must possess the following given skills:
- He/she must be extremely understanding, patient and sensitive to the problems of the young people and must be able to think from their point of view
- Critical thinking and analytical abilities are a must.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a warm disposal are also required.
Youth Counselor Education and Qualifications
The following educational qualifications are required from a youth counselor:
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, child psychology or human services is required.
- Master’s degree in any subject so as to obtain a license or certification is a must.
- Training in youth counseling from an accredited institute.
Youth Counselor Salary
A youth counselor is expected to enjoy an average median salary of $51050.