Clinical Psychiatrist Job Description And profile
Clinical Psychiatrists are the main mental health caregivers. They diagnose patients with mental illnesses and prescribe treatment from a combination of psychotherapy or behaviour modification, psychoanalysis, and medication. Psychiatrists are what most people derisively call a “shrink” with whom many people don’t want to be seen in session with as they don’t like to be labeled as mental cases. Patients with suspected psychosis, neurosis and schizophrenic disorders are often in denial mode to want to get Psychiatric help. Psychiatrists are also consulted and employed in evaluating the mental state of alleged criminals claiming temporary insanity.
Clinical Psychiatrist Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct psychotherapy involving monitored regular sessions with patients that can be treated with behaviour modification.
- Design psychotherapy programs for various behavioral disorders
- Meet with patient’s friends and family to discuss and investigate relationship dysfunctions that when corrected can help restore a patient’s behavioral problems
- Collaborate with neurological surgeon when recommending drastic brain surgery for severely disordered patients.
- Conduct psychoanalytic sessions with cooperative patients who are genuinely interest in solving their mental conditions.
- Conduct psychiatric evaluation on apprehended criminals as recommended by prosecutors
- Conduct counseling session with traumatized victims or survivors of accidents, disasters or criminals activities.
Clinical Psychiatrist Job Skills and Specifications
- Must have high analytical, deductive and reasoning skills in evaluating a patient’s statements
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must have excellent interpersonal and people management skills
Clinical Psychiatrist Job Education and Qualifications
- A doctor of medicine with a state license to practice as a doctor is basic.
- A PhD in Psychiatry or Psychology is basic.
Clinical Psychiatrist Job Salary
Categorized under doctors and surgeons with specialties, the median salary for a Clinical Psychiatrist in 2008 as gathered by the Medical Group Management Association’s Physician Compensation and Production Survey stood at $339,800 annually, considered one of the highest paying professions.
Medical Receptionist Job Description
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description
Medical Biller Job Description
Medical Records Job Description
Medical Coder Job Description
Medical Technologist Job Description
Medical Office Assistant Job Description
Medical Job Descriptions
Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Description
Registered Psychiatric Nurse Job Description
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Job Description
Obstetrician and Gynecologist Job Description