General Pediatrician Job Profile and Description
A General Pediatrician is medical doctor specializing in diagnosing and treating health disorders, congenital deformities and ailments in infants, children, teenagers, and young adults. A pediatrician can cover general practice which involves addressing day-to-day minor injuries, infectious diseases, and immunizations that are quite common in children. Some specialize in pediatric audiology and pediatric surgery to treat more serious medical conditions, such as congenital diseases, autoimmune disorders or chronic ailments.
Pediatrician Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide preventative health care and monitor development and growth of children patients.
- Examine and observe children patients and prescribe, conduct or interpret diagnostic test to determine medical condition and course of treatment.
- Prescribe or administer treatment, medication, vaccination, and other medical care to treat or prevent disease, ailments or injury in children.
- Maintain and update child’s medical histories including lab test reports, medication and progress assessments.
- Advise patients, parents or guardians concerning nutrition, diet, exercise, hygiene, and disease prevention and recommend effective products to this end.
- Treat minor, acute and chronic ailments in children
- Address and growth and developmental concerns.
- Explain any medical procedure to parents, guardians and to the child if capable of understanding to discuss prognosis from test and treatment results.
- Monitor child’s health conditions and treatment progress and reassess medication as necessary.
- Refer patient to relevant medical specialists when suspecting ailments requiring higher expertise.
Pediatrician Skills and Specifications
- Must have excellent ability to establish rapport with children
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills to deal with parents and hospital staff.
Pediatrician Education and Qualifications
A doctor with fellowship training in immunology and a state license to practice as a doctor is basic.
Depending the on the state and size of hospital or clinic, the annual median salary a Pediatrician in 2009 was $73.19 hourly or $152,240 annually.
Medical Receptionist Job Description
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description
Medical Biller Job Description
Medical Records Job Description
Medical Coder Job Description
Medical Technologist Job Description
Medical Office Assistant Job Description
Medical Job Descriptions
Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Description
Registered Psychiatric Nurse Job Description
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Job Description
Obstetrician and Gynecologist Job Description