Medical Office Staff Job Description and Profile
All individuals are very conscious of their health and are very responsible in taking good care. However, all of us become unwell and require medical assistance. All medical facilities hire several doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. Nonetheless, to manage the hospitals and the nursing homes require other staff personnel. The medical office staff assists to manage the operations of the medical facility. The person ensures that all the various functions of the medical facility continue without any difficulties. The medical office staff personnel must understand the basic medical terminologies, medical insurance, and be able to work on the computers. In addition, the staff personnel require working on different types of office equipment to ensure the smooth functioning of the medical facilities.
Medical Office Staff Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the medical office staff is varying depending on the type of medical facility, its size, and the management structure of the unit.
- An important duty of the medical office staff is to multi-task based on the various responsibilities assigned to the individual.
- The person is responsible to attend the various calls and set appointments for the various doctors.
- The office staff person’s duty includes typing bills, maintaining the correspondence, medical records, and filing the bills.
- Coordinating with the suppliers for buying of medical equipments and apparatus. Making the payments to the vendors after obtaining the signature of the relevant authorities.
- Recording patient details in the facilities’ medical database.
- Assisting patients’ in filling the medical history forms and preparing the patients for the examinations when required.
Medical Office Staff Education, Training, and Qualifications
A minimum bachelor degree in any medical related course is required. In addition, a degree in the field of health service administration, business administration, and office administration is an added advantage. Basic skills in computers, handling the telephones, faxes, typing capabilities, and interpersonal skills are important. An understanding of the basic medical terms, medical insurance policies, accounting skills, and tax filing procedures are necessary.
Medical Office Staff Degrees, Courses, and Certifications
Individuals can choose a diploma from a vocational institute or a two-year associate degree from any community college. The degree program in the medical field offer specializations in various subjects. However, basic subjects that provide billing knowledge, understanding basic medical terms, and human anatomy are covered during the degree program. Obtaining a certification from the American Association increases the chances of finding a good opportunity as medical staff office personnel.
Medical Office Staff Skills and Specifications
- Multi-tasking capabilities
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to remain calm in an emergency
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Organization skills
Medical Office Staff Salary
The salary for these personnel varies based on their qualifications and experience. In addition, the salaries vary from one state to another state. Nonetheless, the average salaries range between $40000 and $45000 annually.
Medical Receptionist Job Description
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description
Medical Biller Job Description
Medical Records Job Description
Medical Coder Job Description
Medical Technologist Job Description
Medical Office Assistant Job Description
Medical Job Descriptions
Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Description
Registered Psychiatric Nurse Job Description
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Job Description
Obstetrician and Gynecologist Job Description