Medical Technologist Job Profile And Description
A medical technologist is someone who works in laboratories and help in various diagnostics tests. They are also called clinical laboratory technologists and use their skills and training to do different kinds of clinical procedures which involve chemical, biological, nuclear, immunologic and bacteriological examinations. The job responsibilities of this position depend on the exact designation and which area the medical technologist works as some of the roles can be very specific. They need to be aware of the various rules and regulations on how to maintain cleanliness and a sterilized atmosphere and must always wear the protective gear necessary.
Medical Technologist Duties And Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a medical technologist will involve:
- Analysing the specimens of the human body like urine or blood samples and check for any abnormalities in body fluids
- They also have to find out if there is any bacteria or virus in the samples which can lead to diseases
- They have to match blood types to see if blood transfusion is possible
- They should be aware of how to use the medical equipment which will allow them to perform different types of tests and then write a report on the basis of the tests
Medical Technologist Skills And Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of a medical technologist include:
- Organisational and analytical skills
- May have to work for long hours and during weekends
- Must have good communication skills.
- Must possess thorough knowledge of all the processes to be done.
Medical Technologist Education And Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a medical technologist are as follows:
- Go for a bachelor’s degree in medical technology or at least an associate degree
- Study subjects like anatomy, biology, chemistry and microbiology
Medical Technologist Salary
The salary of a medical technologist is $53,000 per year but it can go up to $74,000 depending on who has hired him and how qualified he is.
Medical Technologist Career Description
A Medical technologist is the main supervisor of a medical laboratory. He or she is responsible for conducting various types of tests and diagnosis. They assist doctors in conducting tests on patients and diagnosing diseases. Candidates who want to become medical technologists should possess educational qualification in medicine. In addition to this, they should have good supervisory skills and interpersonal skills. A medical technologist must be adept at handling various tools and apparatus in the laboratory that are used for checking and testing patients. They should be able to conduct various examinations like X-ray test, Urea test, blood test etc to understand issues affecting patients and treat them appropriately.
Medical Technologist Job Career Description
- A medical technologist assists doctors and other medical professionals in diagnosing symptoms and diseases in the patients.
- A medical technologist must ensure that all the medical apparatus being used in the hospital are safe, secure and working in the right condition.
- Candidates who want to become medical technologists should possess good analytical skills to test the patients in different ways and find the reasons for their symptoms.
- A medical technologist must be aware of all medical terminology that is necessary in performing his responsibilities well.
- A medical technologist should have good coordination skills as they need to supervise different laboratory assistants and work with doctors of different wards.
Medical Technologist Career Salary
Candidates who want their career as a medical technologist should have the relevant educational background in their field of medicine. They can find job openings for the position of medical technologist in health care sector, hospitals, professional analytical and laboratory services, and medical research firms. According to the salary estimates by National Salary Data and released by Pay Scale, the annual compensation of a medical technologist varies from $35,000 to $63,000 while the median salary is around $48,000 per year. To become a medical technologist, candidates must possess at least 4-6 years of relevant experience.
Immunologist Career Description
Hygienist Career Description
Medical Researcher Career Description
Medical Transcription Career Description
Medical Secretary Career Description
Medical Dosimetrist Career Description
Medical Physicist Career Description
Medical Billing Coding Career Description
Medical Coding Career Description
Medical Doctor Career Description
Medical Assistant Career Description
Marine Biologist Career Description