Pharmaceutical Sales Job Profile and Description
Pharmaceutical sales representatives are a major link between pharmaceutical and medical companies and the healthcare professionals and physicians. Pharmaceutical sales representatives sell the products and services of the company that could include prescription drugs, medicines, medical equipment etc., to a wide variety of customers.
These include general medicine practitioners, pharmacies, hospitals and primary care trusts. They also often work strategically for increasing the use and awareness of the company’s medical and pharmaceutical products. Pharmaceutical sales representatives are mostly based at a specific geographical location. They specialize in a selected type of medical area or product. They make presentations and also organize group events for physicians.
Pharmaceutical Sales Duties and Responsibilities
Some common duties of pharmaceutical sales representative include the following:
- Arranging appointments with pharmacists, physicians and hospital medical teams.
- Making presentations before physicians, practice nurses and staff, pharmacists and healthcare professionals in retail sector.
- Organizing conferences for physicians and various medical staff.
- Building and maintaining a positive working relationship with the medical staff and also supporting the administrative staff like receptionists.
- Managing budgets for conferences, speakers, catering, hospitality and others.
- Maintaining detailed records of the contacts.
- Attaining and exceeding annual sales targets.
- Attending regular company meetings, technical briefings and data presentation.
- Keeping abreast of the latest data supplied by the company as well as presenting, interpreting and discussing the data with healthcare professionals during such presentations.
- Monitoring all competitor activity and the products of the competitor.
- Developing strategies to increase opportunities for meeting and talking to contacts in the healthcare and medical sector.
Pharmaceutical Sales Skills and Specifications
Some of the core skills expected from a pharmaceutical sales representative are as follows:
- Ability to furnish detailed information in a systematic and clear manner.
- Good team player and the ability to work for a common goal.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- A positive and can-do attitude, coupled with self motivation and loyalty.
- Determined i.e. prepared to focus on the goals until they’re attained.
Pharmaceutical Sales Education and Qualification
Following are the education and qualifications required for being a pharmaceutical sales representative.
- Bachelors’ degree in pharmacy or equivalent.
- At least 3-4 years field-level experience in pharmaceutical sales and experience in working as part of a team.
Pharmaceutical Sales Salary
A pharmaceutical sales representative can draw a salary of about $37,350 per year.
Call Center Manager Job Description
HVAC Technician Job Description
Dental Hygienist Job description
Lab Director Job Description
Administration director job description
Physical Therapist Job Description
Finance Reporting Manager Job Description
Physical Chemist Job Description
Sales Technician Job Description
19 Best Paying Jobs for Women in 2013 (Infographic)
A Day in the life of a Nursing
What Is the Job Description of a Cashier