Radiation Therapist Job Profile and Description
A Radiation Therapist plays an important role in the oncology team since they develop the radiation treatment programs meant for treating patients who are suffering from cancer. Radiation therapists have both hands-on work and interpersonal skills. They need to work with the entire team, interact with people and apply their aptitude for solving the problems related to radiotherapy.
Radiation Therapist Duties and Responsibilities
- Assessing and interpreting the x-rays in order to find the accurate location of the patient’s tumor.
- Developing a treatment program based on the test results, and using the specifications needed to administer the effective treatment.
- Using radiation treatment programs for positioning linear accelerator.
- Adjusting the patients’ position for ensuring that the rays from accelerator hitting the tumor in a direct way.
- Recording the patients and machine positions in order to make the treatment sessions by making use of same configuration.
- Explaining the treatment plan to the patient by answering their questions and communicating with people under emotional stress.
- Creating a caring, supportive and positive ambience for the patients during the course of their treatment.
- Taking adequate care of the radiation equipments and ensuring that they are in the best quality in order to make the offer the best possible results.
Radiation Therapist Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication and writing skills needed to interact with patients
- Ability to work under stress
- knowledge of the radiation equipments and methods
- knowledge of radiation physics, anatomy, pathology and physiology
- Excellent knowledge of research methods and nursing techniques
- Great planning problem-solving skills.
Radiation Therapist Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine from medical school.
- A one- or two-year technical certification is imperative to become a radiation therapist.
Radiation Therapist Salary
The average salary of a radiation therapist is $66,000. However, their income would greatly vary depending on the nature of the organization they work for and the experience of the professional.
Medical Receptionist Job Description
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description
Medical Biller Job Description
Medical Records Job Description
Medical Coder Job Description
Medical Technologist Job Description
Medical Office Assistant Job Description
Medical Job Descriptions
Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Description
Registered Psychiatric Nurse Job Description
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Job Description
Obstetrician and Gynecologist Job Description