Veterinary Job Profile and Description
Veterinary jobs require the professionals to carry out examinations, vaccinations and surgical procedures on the animals. These people detect the physical symptoms needed to diagnose different types of disease conditions. These people work in different places- from private clinics and animal hospitals to government agencies, research facilities, zoo etc. Though some of them specialize in some type of animal care and treatment, most of them offer general animal care.
Veterinary Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnosing and treating animal health hazards, vaccinating them against diseases, performing surgery, prescribing medications for the animals affected by some disease or infection.
- Providing information to the animal owners on matters like behavior, nutrition and breeding.
- Using medical and diagnostic equipments like that of stethoscopes, surgical instruments, stethoscopes and the ultrasound machines for aiding the process of treatment.
- Taking x- rays of the injured animals and prescribing medications to them.
- Performing any spay, routine check-ups, neutering operations and dental cleanings on different types of animals.
Veterinary Skills and Specifications
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Ability to deal with all types of animals and their problems.
- Flexibility of working in all types of climates and working conditions.
- Ability to work for long hours and for long schedules.
- Ability to educate the pet owners about different factors like pet care, nutrition etc.
Veterinary Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M. or V.M.D) from an accredited college of veterinary medicine.
- Course of supervised clinical work from some accredited animal hospital and obtaining the requisite license are imperative.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median wage of veterinarian in May 2008 was $79,050. However, their income would greatly vary depending on the nature of the organization they work for and the experience of the professional.
Medical Receptionist Job Description
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description
Medical Biller Job Description
Medical Records Job Description
Medical Coder Job Description
Medical Technologist Job Description
Medical Office Assistant Job Description
Medical Job Descriptions
Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Description
Registered Psychiatric Nurse Job Description
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Job Description
Obstetrician and Gynecologist Job Description