Game Designer Career Profile and Description
A game designer is a job position, well suited to the game lovers. The game lovers will get immersed in the designing process and will enjoy the work, just like they enjoy the game. They create, design and analyze various gaming ideas and then translate them into practical applications for testing and approval. They build various types of games meant for PCs as well as the smart phones.
To be successful in this job, a candidate should have an analytical mind and s/he should be able to combine her/his programming experience with the game design talent to solve challenging problems and create innovative games.
Game Designer Duties and Responsibilities
The job responsibilities of a game designer are as follows:
- Directing the development of a particular game throughout its whole lifecycle.
- Developing innovative and funny game features that improves customer engagement.
- Managing the game systems, economics and mechanics.
- Modeling and tuning complex game systems.
- Generating game design documents to aid in the production process.
- Coordinating with the programming team to invent new game technologies.
- Developing and utilizing the game mathematical properties and the design of updates.
- Providing feature documentation, prototypes and diagrams.
- Utilizing the knowledge of customer preferences to improve the design concepts of the games.
Game Designer Skills and Specifications
The desired skills and specifications are as follows:
- Ability to analyze mechanics of game and various feature designs.
- Ability to design game systems and player progressions.
- Basic understanding of game balance and statistics.
- Basic understanding of interaction design concepts.
- Working experience of C/C++, Java and Visual Basic Programming.
- Working experience of Microsoft Office tools.
- Strong knowledge of game balancing and pacing.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong time management and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- A strong passion for playing and making video games.
Game Designer Education and Qualification
The educational qualifications required are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Game design or any other related field.
- Exposure to professional game development industry preferred.
- Experience in game design and modeling is a plus.
Game Designer Salary
The average yearly salary of a game designer ranges from $43,401 to $68,825. The salary varies according to organization, location and the experience levels of the designer.