Nurse Practitioner Career Profile and Description
A nurse practitioner is a professional, who provides support and assistance in the delivery of good quality of patient care. The professional works in coordination with the physicians, assistant nurses, case managers and other health care disciplines of an organization in order to provide high quality clinical practice and standards of health care, to different age groups of patients.
They consult with the physicians on a regular basis and also perform psychiatric evaluations, as and when needed. In addition, they participate in the quality assurance programs with the healthcare groups.
Nurse Practitioner Duties and Responsibilities
The essential job duties of a nurse practitioner are as follows:
- Conducting patient screening and initial exams.
- Assisting physicians with follow-up patient visits.
- Reporting to the head of the department regularly about the patient’s condition.
- Diagnosing and treating various acute and chronic conditions of patients.
- Managing the laboratory procedures such as X-rays, EKG etc.
- Prescribing medications to patients as per the condition diagnosed.
- Managing workers compensation and transitional duty programs.
- Performing vaccinations and providing case management.
- Assisting in health maintenance, disease prevention, counseling and patient education in the primary health care settings.
- Participating in the quality improvement activities in order to improve the care delivery services.
Nurse Practitioner Skills and Specifications
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate medical equipment and machineries properly.
- Ability to receive and analyze information in oral or written mode properly.
- Excellent reasoning skills and problem solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proficiency in basic computer applications.
Nurse Practitioner Education and Qualification
- Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited Nursing School.
- Completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner program.
- BLS certification from AHA.
- A minimum of one year of post licensure clinical experience is a plus.
Nurse Practitioner Salary
The average salary of a nurse practitioner ranges from $43,970 to $93,700. It varies according to the area of expertise, the location and type of job etc.