Primary School Teacher Job Profile and Description
Primary school teachers help primary students to form a strong educational base. They facilitate learning by forming a relationship with the pupils and paying careful attention to their needs. They monitor and record progress and prepare students for examinations. They help students to develop their knowledge and understanding, and prepare them for the secondary level.
Primary School Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a primary school teacher are as follows:
- Teaching in all the areas of primary curriculum.
- Preparing lesson plans.
- Maintaining discipline within the classroom.
- Maintain records & recording progress.
- Organizing and participating in extra-curricular and cultural activities, educational trips and outings.
- Providing a healthy, hygienic and safe environment that facilitates learning.
- Conduct regular tests to help determine development levels, growth and potential of each student.
- Organizing parent- teacher meeting from time to time.
Primary School Teacher Skills and Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of a primary school teacher are as follows:
- The candidate should have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Should have good organizational and management skills.
- Sense of responsibility is a must.
- Should have patience.
- Should be encouraging and motivating.
- The candidate should be informative and resourceful.
- Should possess leadership skills.
Primary School Teacher Education and Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a primary school teacher are as follows:
- To register as a primary level teacher a Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree recognized by the Teaching Council is required or a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Primary).
- Skills in music, art or dance will prove to be helpful for the candidate.
- Previous experience of working with children is also important to get this job.
Primary School Teacher Salary
A primary school teacher can expect to get an annual average salary of $ 50,000-60,000.