Mainframe Systems Manager Job Profile and Description
Mainframe Systems Managers work in data centers of large banks, airlines and telecommunications companies that use mainframe IBM or Amdahl computers at the heart of their computing platforms. They manage the CPU and data storage OS that are configured to feed data or interface with client-server systems with web browser user interfaces, The position is highly technical requiring mastery of legacy mainframe operating systems that can go from single to multiple parallel processing for continuous systems availability and fault tolerance.
Mainframe Systems Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the running and partitioning of mainframe systems to allow virtual machine operation to support various corporate wide systems in one physical machine.
- Coordinate with hardware and network systems engineer to ensure sustained configuration support for high or continuous availability as required
- Provide regular systems performance reports to the IT head.
- Provide test and development partitioning to support programmer enhancement of current mainframe systems without affecting the production system.
- Supervise a team of OS analysts and database administrators to perform their duties and responsibilities as expected.
- Coordinate with HR for the final interview of job applicants of positions in the department.
Mainframe Systems Manager Skills and Specifications
- Must have administrative competence to oversee mainframe operations
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have excellent organizational, supervisory and managerial skills
Mainframe Systems Manager Education and Qualifications
- A college degree in computer science or management is basic while a masters degree or MBA is preferred
- At least 12-15 years of experience in mainframe OS/VMS/CICS computing environment with the last 5 years in a senior analyst or administrator position.
Mainframe Systems Manager Salary
The annual average salary of a Mainframe Systems Manager varies according to industry and state as well as holder’s qualification. In general, the position can command as much as $130,000 annually from large airlines and slightly lower in bank and telecoms companies.
Computer IT Job Description
Sample Network Administrator Job Description
Sample IT Recruiter Job Description
Sample SAP CRM Job Description
Database Developer Job Description
Sample MCSE Job Description
Sample CCNA Job Description
Sample SAP Consultant Job Description
Sample SAP HR Job Description
Senior IT Project Manager Job Description
Senior Manager It Job Description
Senior Qa Engineer Job Description