Medical Administrative Assistant Job Profile And Description
A medical administrative assistant works in the administrative department of a healthcare facility like a hospital, clinic, nursing home, old age home and so on. He must be trained in performing the various administrative duties and also know how to interact with patients. Maintaining confidentiality is a very important part of the job and hence the candidate needs to have integrity and organisational skills to do the job well. He must also be aware of the various laws, policies, rules and regulations laid down by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations so that he does not make any mistakes.
Medical Administrative Assistant Duties And Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of a medical administrative assistant will involve:
- Interact with patients and answer any questions they may have about the healthcare facility and its services
- Provide administrative support to the employees working there and handle their records
- Take responsibility of tasks related to billing, insurance, entry and updating medical records and maintaining employee records
Medical Administrative Assistant Skills And Specifications
The skills and specifications that are required of a medical administrative assistant include:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must be organised, systematic, calm and have good interpersonal skills
- Should be able to multitask effortlessly and also be able to work at odd hours
Medical Administrative Assistant Education And Qualification
The education and qualification requirements for a medical administrative assistant are as follows:
- A basic high school degree is necessary with knowledge of computers to handle various administrative duties
- You have a better chance of getting a job and a higher salary if you have a degree in hospital or healthcare management or an MBA
Medical Administrative Assistant Salary
The salary of a medical administrative assistant at the entry-level is within $30,000 per year.
Medical Administrative Assistant Job Profile and Description
A Medical Administrative Assistant plays an important role in every medical facility no matter what the size of the facility is like. Though they are mostly concerned with the administrative functions of facility, they take care of other important factors of the facility as well. A highly demanding job, the medical assistantship requires a lot dedication on the part of the medical administrative assistant. The works and duties of medical administrative assistant are as follows:-
Duties and Responsibilities
- Registering and filling the records, which belong to the patients in order to keep a good degree of record of their medical problems and the treatments.
- Communicating and corresponding with different groups of people from patients, insurance companies to laboratory suppliers and other groups.
- Answering different calls and also book keeping in order keeping things under control.
- Helping the doctors to examine their patients thereby acting as his perfect assistant.
- Carrying out the managerial task of the medical facility in order to keep the department function smoothly and without any hazards.
- Looking after and maintaining the different medical equipments belonging to the medical facility.
Skills and Specifications
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Good administrative duties.
- Great clerical skills.
- Aware of medical techniques.
- Responsible person.
Education and Qualifications
- High school diploma in medical assisting along with adequate knowledge in medical terminology, jargon is highly imperative.
- Five to ten years experience in related field is an added advantage.
Art Administration Career Description
Public Administration Career Description
Education Administration Career Description
Business Administration Career Description
Health Administration Career Description
Administrative Assistant Career Description
Marine Biologist Career Description
Naturalist Career Description
Biomedical Engineer Career Description
General Practitioner Career Description
Visual Merchandiser Career Description