Public Defender Job Profile and Description
Many times in a legal case a person accused of an offence has poor financial condition and cannot afford to pay fees of private lawyers. In such cases, court appoints a public defender to represent the charged person. It is the duty of public defender to defend his client in the legal proceedings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Public defender is responsible for organising, execution and coordination of his office.
- He has to direct the staff assigned for providing justice to the people who are underprivileged and charged of crime.
- He has to interrogate the client.
- He has to conduct interviews for the public defender’s office.
- He has to upgrade the working procedures on regular basis.
- He has to meet the client along with his family members, explain them about the case and collect details.
- He has to manage and have a dialogue with the eyewitnesses.
- He has to plan policies for defending his client.
- He has to scrutinize initial hearings for the case.
- He has to oversee legal documents of suits and trials.
- He has the responsibility of serving his post dedicatedly when entrusted by the court
Skills and Specifications
- A public defender should have the ability to work efficiently on many cases at one time.
- He should be able to accept challenges and be very confident in speaking.
- He should have the capability of handling staff and be computer literate.
- He should be comfortable with long working hours with commitment towards the assigned work.
- He should have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- He should be a good observer.
Education and qualifications
A public defender must have a graduate and masters degree in law. He must have passed
the bar exam and also have experience of working in the field of law.
Criminal Defense Attorney Job Description
Divorce & Family Lawyer Job Description
Court Stenographer Job Description
Court Recorder Job Description
Criminal Lawyer Job Description
Community Lawyer Job Description
Housing Lawyer Job Description
Education Lawyer Job Description
Senior Officer Legal Job Description
Staff Attorney Job Description
Volunteer Legal Intern Job Description
Law Firm Administrator Job Description