Archeology Assistant Job Profile and Description
University professors of antiquities, archeology and paleontology are often given grants to conduct excavations and explorations in distant lands when there’s a confirmed find that could enrich human knowledge along with certain museums. These grants are often provided by government, foundations, museum curators or philanthropists. Because professors rarely have staff of their own in the universities, they tap their students who are interested to earn on the side during summer or semestral breaks.
Archeology Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide assistance to the archeologist/professor in conducting and supervising archeological excavations.
- Provide research staff support in evaluating archeological finds, dating specimens and documentation.
- Assist in the documentation of the expedition for publication in relevant journals.
- Perform relevant tasks as may be directed by the archeologist /professor
Archeology Assistant Skills and Specifications
- Does not mind working in dusty and dirty locations where the archeological excavations are being undertaken
- Has excellent physical health and mental alertness to face the hazards of an archeological expedition
- Can work long hours in deserts, jungles or rocky mountains
- Can be trusted to keep archeological finds in good condition
- Can be trusted to keep archeological findings confidential until authorized to release in relevant journals
- Has excellent interpersonal and communication skills to interact with local natives and populace and government bureaus during the excavation
- Had excellent writing skill to document archeological find for approval by the archeologist/professor
Archeology Assistant Education and Qualifications
- As a student job, the relevant undergraduate course is necessary to get the summer or semester break position
- A keen interest in archeological studies is important
Archeology Assistant Salary
The internship or student job does not benefit any standard salary but depending on the professor, a stipend or allowance is granted to cover temporary lodging, meals and transport related to the research work during the period.
Student Financial Aid Job Description
Student Development Officer Job Description
Athletic Training Student Job Description
Nursing Student Job Description
Graduate Student Job Description
Social Work Student Job Description
GIS Student Job Description
Student Career Descriptions
University Student Job Description
Undergraduate Student Job Description
Student Union Job Description
Student Nurse Job Description