Food Technologist Job Profile and Description
Food Technologists are those who work in the food processing industry and are responsible for creating and improving food products. A food technologist creates a wide range of products and also ensures that they are delivered safe for consumer consumption.
He involves in continual research with the objective of improving the quality and safety of the food products that are created and distributed. He develops products that comply with the standards and regulations of government for sanitation and quality.
Food Technologist Duties and Responsibilities
The food technologist is required to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Creates new products based on the feedback from consumers.
- Notify and discuss problems observed during production or after production to the concerned department to resolve problems.
- Examine the products and find substitutes for ingredients that are harmful and also check the nutritional content and quality of the food.
- Perform research to find out new ways of improving and processing food.
Food Technologist Skills and Specifications
- Must pay attention to detail and must be able to work with hygiene.
- Must have a strong interest and determination in food preparation and in learning new ways of improving food to deliver it as attractive and safe as possible to customers.
- Must be confident to report issues regarding food to other specialists and thus should be a good team player with excellent communication skills.
Food Technologist Education and Qualification
- A bachelor’s degree in agricultural science, food technology or any related field.
- Master’s in food technology or any related field has to be obtained by candidates who want to perform research.
- Hands-on experience with food production technology can be attained by taking up an internship program or working as an apprentice.
Food Technologist Salary
The average income of food technologist is found to be $63,000 per annum and those who work at government agencies make up to $100,000 per annum.