Surgical Technician Job Profile And Description
A surgical technician is an individual who works as an assistant in all surgical operations and has to work under the supervision of surgeons and nurses. They work in the operating rooms of a health care center. Their job is to make the operation room ready by arranging all the equipments that will be required for the process of surgery and also ensure that the necessary tools are sterilized. They also have to check the working conditions of the surgical equipments. They sometimes have to make the patient who is supposed to undergo surgery ready. They have to be present when the surgical procedure is taking place as they will have to pass on all the required equipments to the surgeon.
Surgical Technician Duties And Responsibilities
The various duties and responsibilities required to be carried out by a surgical technician are as follows:
- Preparing the equipments ready for the process of surgery
- Sterilizing the surgical equipments
- Assisting the surgeon and the nurse while the surgery is taking place
- Assisting in the process of laboratory analysis
- Helping to move the patient after the operation is over
- Cleaning the operation room to prepare it for the next surgery
Surgical Technician Skills And Specifications
An individual aspiring to work as a surgical technician must possess the following skills and specifications:
- Ability to handle stressful working environment
- Should be flexible as an employee
- Needs to practice safety measures
- Ability to face situations that may not be pleasant
Surgical Technician Education And Qualification
The educational qualification required in order to become a surgical technician is a two year diploma or associate degree in a course that includes surgical procedures, medical terminology, anatomy, pharmacology and physiology.
Surgical Technician Salary
The average annual salary of a surgical technician is around $31000.