Veterinary Assistant Profile and Description
Veterinary assistants are those professionals who work under veterinarians and help them in taking care of animals and pets. A veterinary assistant feeds animals and examines them for injuries and illnesses. A veterinary assistant is not required to be as educated as a veterinarian but must have similar range of knowledge and expertise.
Veterinary Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
A veterinary assistant is required to attend to many duties and responsibilities and the following are a few of them:
- A veterinary assistant must take orders from vet doctors and help in taking care of animals and birds.
- A veterinary assistant is responsible for giving injections and medicines to the pets.
- A veterinary assistant is also responsible for feeding the animals and controlling them while the doctor attends to them.
- A veterinary assistant is also responsible for checking for illnesses and injuries in the animals.
Veterinary Assistant Skills and Specifications
The following are a few of the major skills which are required from a veterinary assistant:
- A veterinary assistant is required to be animal loving and very patient in nature.
- A veterinary assistant is required to have exceptional knowledge of the behavior of different animals and pets.
- He/she should be caring in nature and should be good at taking orders from the veterinarians.
- He/she must also have interest in treatment of animal diseases etc.
Veterinary Assistant Education and Qualifications
A veterinary assistant must possess the following given educational requirements:
- It is necessary for a veterinary assistant to have a high school diploma.
- Certification is not necessary but having a certification or diploma in veterinary training can be helpful.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in animal science is also required.
Veterinary Assistant Salary
The average median salary of a veterinary assistant is about $33780.