Genetic Counselor Profile and Description
A genetic counselor is a health professional or a medical expert who helps the people or patients understand about a genetically inherited disease or medical condition. He/she imparts knowledge about the possible effects of the disease and how it will affect the following generations of the bloodline. A genetic counselor must have the knowledge of genetics and should be an excellent counselor to help patients cope with the disease.
Genetic Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
A genetic counselor has to fulfill different types of duties and responsibilities. Here’s a look at a few of them:
- A genetic counselor is responsible for patiently helping the patients understand the repercussions of the genetically inherited disease.
- It is the responsibility of a genetic counselor to study the medical history of the patients to identify the genetic structure so as to suggest a possible recovery process.
- He/she must educate the family members about the precautions they can take to avoid the disease.
- He/she must help the patients recover from the disease.
Genetic Counselor Skills and Specifications
The following are a few of the main skills which are required from a genetic counselor:
- A genetic counselor must be soft spoken, patient and understanding.
- He/she must possess good interpersonal skills so as to effectively interact and communicate with the patient as well as his/her family members.
- He/she must be persuasive, dedicated and attentive.
- A genetic counselor must be sensitive to the emotional state and physical condition of the patients.
Genetic Counselor Education and Qualifications
The following educational qualifications are required to become a genetic counselor:
- Graduation from a faculty which has been approved and passes by the American Board of Genetic counselors.
- Masters of Science degree in genetic counseling.
Genetic Counselor Salary
The compensation of a genetic counselor is quite high and the average median salary enjoyed by a genetic counselor lies between $45000 and $60000.
Neurosurgeon Career Description
Neonatologist Career Description
Dental Assistant Career Description
Dietician Career Description
Chiropractor Career Description
Dietitian Career Description
General Surgeon Career Description
Homeopathy Career Description
Family Physician Career Description
Gynecologist Career Description
Biotechnology Career Description
Orthopedic Surgeon Career Description