Genetic Counselor Profile and Description
A genetic counselor is a health professional or a medical expert who helps the people or patients understand about a genetically inherited disease or medical condition. He/she imparts knowledge about the possible effects of the disease and how it will affect the following generations of the bloodline. A genetic counselor must have the knowledge of genetics and should be an excellent counselor to help patients cope with the disease.
Genetic Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
A genetic counselor has to fulfill different types of duties and responsibilities. Here’s a look at a few of them:
- A genetic counselor is responsible for patiently helping the patients understand the repercussions of the genetically inherited disease.
- It is the responsibility of a genetic counselor to study the medical history of the patients to identify the genetic structure so as to suggest a possible recovery process.
- He/she must educate the family members about the precautions they can take to avoid the disease.
- He/she must help the patients recover from the disease.
Genetic Counselor Skills and Specifications
The following are a few of the main skills which are required from a genetic counselor:
- A genetic counselor must be soft spoken, patient and understanding.
- He/she must possess good interpersonal skills so as to effectively interact and communicate with the patient as well as his/her family members.
- He/she must be persuasive, dedicated and attentive.
- A genetic counselor must be sensitive to the emotional state and physical condition of the patients.
Genetic Counselor Education and Qualifications
The following educational qualifications are required to become a genetic counselor:
- Graduation from a faculty which has been approved and passes by the American Board of Genetic counselors.
- Masters of Science degree in genetic counseling.
Genetic Counselor Salary
The compensation of a genetic counselor is quite high and the average median salary enjoyed by a genetic counselor lies between $45000 and $60000.